Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A job well done

One of my Facebook friends posted the following comment on her wall the other day:
Okay, so in court today someone said, "the only person I've seen in court that is nasty as you are is Paul Kennedy." Now I wonder...was that a compliment or a slam?!
It's not our role as criminal defense attorneys to be liked in the courtroom. Respected? Yes. Liked? Nope. Our very presence is annoying to those who wish to take away our clients' liberty. How dare we stand up and challenge the state to prove each and every element of their case. How dare we stand up and challenge the legality of a stop, a seizure or a search. How dare we stand and challenge the rulings of the court. How dare we stand in the face of all the evidence pointing to our client's guilt and enter a plea of not guilty.

So, to the unnamed person who referred to me as nasty in court -- thank you. I take that as a compliment. It's means I'm doing everything I can to defend my clients.

No comments: