Friday, January 22, 2010

Let's see Bear Grylls get out of this

This morning while down on the island I stopped by the Galveston County Jail to consult with a client. Due to the nature of his case it was best that we meet face-to-face rather than over the video monitor system.

So, with my badge on my lapel I took my briefcase and entered the facility. Down the hall I walked to the command center and then down the wing to the attorney booth. I ran into a deputy on the way and we talked a bit about the current number of inmates in the jail and the jail's capacity.

I made my way to the attorney booth, pushed the buzzer and was let in. Now ordinarily I put a business card in the door so it won't lock behind me - but today I left the house in a hurry and didn't have any cards with me.

My client and I discussed his case, the state's "offer" and what he was willing to do. After we finished I stood up and walked over to the wall to push the buzzer to be let out. My client did the same thing on his side of the glass. After about a minute the door opened and my client stepped out to be taken back to his cell. I waited for my door to open.

And I waited. And waited. And waited. I pushed the buzzer again...and again...and again. Still the door wouldn't open. I saw maintenance staff leave one pod and enter another one so I knew some of the buzzers worked.

Still I waited. I banged on the window and I kicked the door. Still nothing. I pushed the buzzer another dozen or so times. The door remained locked. Finally I heard a cart coming down the hallway. I had to be ready to get the driver's attention (all those hours of Man v. Wild were going to come to good use).

Then I saw the deputy I had spoken to earlier. I motioned to him and he came to the door, found his key and unlocked it.

Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, I was free at last!

No comments: