Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What, no twitter feed?

George Zimmerman, the man who shot and killed Trayvon Martin, has put up a website soliciting donations for his living and legal expenses. Of course I'm playing right along with Mr. Zimmerman's ploy to keep himself in the public spotlight for a little while longer just by posting this.

For someone who seems to resent the media scrutiny he's been placed under, Mr. Zimmerman certainly had a strange reaction. Launching a website and asking people for money is not the best way to keep oneself out of the cameras.
On Sunday February 26th, I was involved in a life altering event which led me to become the subject of intense media coverage. As a result of the incident and subsequent media coverage, I have been forced to leave my home, my school, my employer, my family and ultimately, my entire life. This website's sole purpose is to ensure my supporters they are receiving my full attention without any intermediaries.
While one of the links on the page is for "The Facts," it contains nothing more than a statement that he regrets not being able to discuss said facts on the website. That's probably the smartest move he's made since the story broke.

One of the first things I tell clients when they come in is to stop posting to Facebook, Twitter or any other social media sites while their case is pending. In some instances it doesn't really matter because my client is smart and savvy enough not to post anything embarrassing in the first place. But, after a client on a dope case bragged on his MySpace page about his latest dope deal - I take no chances.

The best thing Mr. Zimmerman can do right now is lay low and let the local prosecutors muck up the works. So long as the public's attention is focused on what the authorities are, or are not, doing in the investigation they aren't looking at Mr. Zimmerman. And, while he might actually crave being back in the spotlight, the best place for the target of a criminal investigation to be is in the shadows.

While the purpose of the website may very well be to raise money to retain an attorney, it certainly creates the appearance that Mr. Zimmerman is trying to cash in on his infamy. He would do much better to keep "off the grid."

No comments: