Tuesday, October 7, 2008

An open request to the candidates for Harris County District Attorney

Dear Mr. Bradford and Ms. Lykos,
 
My name is Paul B. Kennedy.  I am a criminal defense attorney in Houston, Texas and I publish the blog "The Defense Rests" (http://kennedy-law.blogspot.com).
 
I am offering both of your campaigns the opportunity to answer a series of questions that will run (unedited and unabridged) in my blog prior to the election.  Your responses will run without any editorial comment, as my sole intention is to allow you to speak directly to the voters. 
 
Here are the questions:
 
1. What is your position on releasing minor offenders on personal bonds with a promise to appear in court on a specific date?
 
2. As District Attorney, how would you propose we handle minor drug possession cases?  Specifically, how would your administration handle the issues of overcrowding in the Harris County Jail and the recidivism rate of drug offenders?
 
3. What would your administration do to ensure that Brady material is disclosed to defense counsel in a timely manner?
 
4. What is your position on the creation of a public defender's office in Harris County?  What changes, if any, would you like to see made to the existing appointment system?
 
5. Why should you get my vote (in 100 words or less)?

I look forward to hearing from both of your campaigns and, should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at the number listed below.
 
Paul B. Kennedy,
Attorney at Law
800 Bering, Suite 208
Houston, Texas 77057
Tel (832) 606-9432
Fax (866) 587-2584

No comments: