Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Goodbye, Mack

I just got back from seeing the sad ending to the Mack Brown era at Texas. I really wanted it to end differently than it did. I can't say I'm surprised, however.

My wife suggested I go to the Texas Exes viewing party to watch the Alamo Bowl tonight - so I did. As did my youngest daughter. The game stunk but we had fun. She drank her lemonade while I downed a couple of Shiners and we ate through the bag of goodies my wife packed for us.

She was completely oblivious to the score. She was there to watch the game and hang out with her old man. She was sad that Mack Brown was stepping down. When she heard he was being forced out (I'm not playing along with this resigning charade), she cried.

As I have written before, throughout this entire episode, Mack Brown has shown more class than all of his detractors. The final nail in the coffin was when the board of regents told UT President William Powers in a closed session that Mack had to go. Powers didn't even have the class to tell Mack face-to-face. He sent in the new AD, Steve Patterson, to do his dirty work.

What an example you set for the students on the Forty Acres.

And having the palace intrigue made public doesn't make the job any more desirable. Why would Jimbo Fisher or Art Briles want to leave to come to a school in which the regents will be plotting their demise after their first loss?

But, despite everything that went on behind his back, Mack Brown responded by my request and sent my youngest an autographed picture of him holding the trophy for winning the national championship. He didn't have to do it. But that's the kind of person Mack Brown is. There's a lesson in there for all of us.

No comments: