Friday, June 11, 2010

That's not a UFO, that's a courthouse

While in San Antonio for the Rusty Duncan Advanced Criminal Law Seminar I walked over to the John H. Wood, Jr. Federal Courthouse in Hemisfair Park. And, yes, that was Woody Harrelson's dad who shot and killed him back in 1979.


At first I thought I was looking at the old Hemisfair Arena. I thought how cool it would be to say that George Gervin and David Robinson played on the floor of the courthouse. Then I realized that the old home of the Spurs had been torn down some time ago. As it turns out, this courthouse will see the wrecking ball at some point as plans have been made to move the Federal Courthouse downtown. I certainly hope the new courthouse isn't more of the same ol' drab federal buildings we see everywhere else. The current courthouse is a treat to the eyes.


I certainly couldn't leave without taking a picture of Hemisfair Tower -- the second tallest freestanding tower in the United States. And, no, the Space Needle in Seattle is NOT the tallest.

No comments: