Thursday, October 15, 2009

Can't wait to hear his next campaign slogan

Tangipahoa Parish (La) Justice of the Peace Keith Bardwell will not marry a mixed race couple because he doesn't think the marriage stands a chance of surviving. Mr. Bardwell said he asks prospective couples if they are a mixed race couple and, if they are, he refuses to marry them.

“I'm not a racist. I just don't believe in mixing the races that way. I have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else.” -- Justice of the Peace, Keith Bardwell

Despite a Supreme Court ruling in 1967 that Virginia's ban on interracial marriage was unconstitutional, Mr. Bardwell believes that his stance is legal. In defense of his position, he said that neither white society nor black society was ready to accept the children of an interracial relationship.

I must wonder sometimes if folks like Mr. Bardwell even believe the garbage coming out of their mouths. Using his logic, since half of all marriages end in divorce, maybe Mr. Bardwell should refuse to marry anyone.

Yep, these are the folks we elect to sit on the bench. Makes you stop and wonder.


1 comment:

edwin sanchez said...

There is no need to back track on this country's racist past...we are having trouble with marrying the gays nowadays...lets stay focused.